How do I properly use an e-cigarette?
Figuring out e-cigarettes can be difficult for a new user. When you are so used to smoking a paper wrapped tobacco cigarette, with a filter, you can often get frustrated when trying your first e-cigarette. Many people actually get discouraged to the point that they go back to traditional cigarettes. We have asked around and done some research and have some tips for those that are new to e-cigs and just can't understand why vaping an e-cig is different than smoking a cigarette.
So you pickup your e-cigarette and it sure looks like a cigarette so why wouldn't you smoke it like one? Right? Well, no, wrong. They are made to look like cigarettes for the mental comfort of "having a cigarette in your hand" but the components are different so therefore they need to be smoked/vaped differently. One is paper with a filter, tobacco and a flame; the other is a lithium ion battery that heats liquid nicotine and forms a vapor. If you find yourself smoking your e-cigarette the way you smoke a traditional cigarette, you are doing something wrong. As a matter of fact, if you vape your e-cig as you smoke your cigarette you will find yourself with a sore throat, sore lungs, an incessant cough and irritation in your mouth and throat.
So how do you actually inhale an e-cigarette then? Follow some basic steps and you will be well on your way to a happy vaping experience:
1. Do not draw the vapor directly into your lungs as you would a cigarette. Instead, draw it into your mouth (use your cheeks as a vacuum) and then inhale into your lungs if desired.
2. After drawing the vapor into your mouth, hold it there for a few seconds before either inhaling into the lungs or exhaling through your mouth or nose.
3. When drawing the vapor into your mouth, make sure you do so slow and steady. Pulling hard as you would on a cigarette actually causes the heater coil to malfunction. The heater coil works when air is gently drawn across it. Pulling hard will also cause the liquid to be drawn directly into your mouth - a very unpleasant experience indeed.
4. Nicotine can only penetrate by inhalation into the lungs on a traditional cigarette. However, with an e-cigarette, it absorbs through mucous membranes in the mouth, lungs and nose. If you do not inhale into the mouth first, then into the lungs and then out the nose, the nicotine absorption is much less and you will not have a satisfying experience.
5. The "effects" that a smoker is looking for is typically delivered in under 8 seconds with a traditional cigarette. Due to the mucous membrane absorption, e-cigarettes can take up to 30 seconds to take effect. This is often a frustration for new vapers, but when understood, can be adapted to.
Using this longer, but slower and less deep, inhalation method should cause your e-cig to last you up to2 packs of cigarettes. The longer your inhale, the shorter the lifespan of the cartridge.
Source: E-Cigarette Forum
To check out our electronic cigarette starter kits, please click here.