|Live Chat Support Software|
|Shopping Basket: (0) Items|
Posted at: 07/05/2012 4:49 PM | Updated at: 07/05/2012 10:46 PM
By: Mike Daniels, KOB Eyewitness News 4; The Associated Press
CORRALES, N.M. (AP) - Corrales officials say a fire that burned more than 350 acres of the wooded area along the Rio Grande was most likely sparked by an electronic cigarette.
Village Administrator John Avila says an employee apparently dropped the device while patrolling on June 20.
The employee realized the device was gone after ducking under a tree limb.
The fire started soon after.
The employee tried to put out the flames, but Avila says the dry brush was quick to ignite. The fire ended up burning on both sides of the river.
Police say no charges will be filed because the cause was rule accidental.
Avila says the village is handing the case as a personnel matter.
He declined to release the employee's name. The village is now considering a new ordinance that would prohibit electronic cigarettes in the bosque.
While the city points to e-cigaretes as the culprit, eveyone isn't buying the story.
E-cigarettes can only be activated by puffing on the device or pushing a button, Stevie Vigil, Orchid Chamber Smoke Shop spokesman said.
"Our big selling point is that you can smoke them anywhere," Vigil said.
(KOB.com contributed to this article. Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
The #1 Rated E-Cigarette® and The Best Way to Smoke®
© 2008-2014 ProSmoke® Electronic Cigarettes - ProCigs™ All Rights Reserved